Sawdust followed sawdust – 2016 workshop review

A year since I put anything up from the workshop.  One could be forgiven for thinking that perhaps I was so busy doing the studio, that nothing else was achieved… Surprisingly enough, there was plenty of sawdust created this year.  I was able to create some work which I was very happy with.

And here we are 4 months later… and this still hasn’t hit the web… best I press the publish button!

Elm Table

First from the piles of sawdust was a small table.  The customer had a large 1800 mm round table that simply didn’t fit in their new apartment style home.  We looked at cutting the table round table down, but that simply didnt work as the stand for the table was too large.  So a new table was required.  After some discussion we made a small table that could be put against a buffet, and when required was expanded with a drop in insert.  The expansion of the table was controlled by this runner set from Lee Valley.

 

Outdoor Table and Benches

I was fortunate to have a customer who wanted an outdoor table and benches.  It was quite a large table, 2500mm long and 900mm wide.  Made from Lusitanica it was designed to live under some trees during summer and then by stored in winter.  Fabulous way to treat your outdoor furniture.  Finished in Sikkens HLSe the table and benches looked absolutely fabulous.

Pull Apart Box

I have made a few of these ‘pull apart boxes’.  They are the results of a guild wood challenge a few years ago, and I have continued to make them  Recently I was offered some wood, and thought I would make one of these for the person who donated the wood.  But instead of a single wood, I would use two different timbers.  One wrapped around the other.

JointWorks Studio - 2016

Studio – Old to New

Some of you maybe aware that JointWorks Studio is situated the original Tasman Store.  Our building was built around 1913 or 1914. After 100 years or so of use the building was getting quite tired, and in need of some love and attention.  In June 2016 we decided the time was right to a few things right.

The trouble with putting a few things right, is that often one thing leads to another… and then maybe another.  As a result the studio is now fabulous.  And it should be as it has had a full makeover!

For those who are interested in these matters here is a list of repairs

  • Replacement of all piles / joists and bearers
  • Replace rotten / rotting / borer ridden studs (about 80%)
  • the floor was replaced
  • All windows and doors replaced
  • Insulate
  • Replace all plasterboard
  • New power points and lights
  • Repaint

The work was quite extensive and a condition of consent was to put in a mobility impaired car park and ramp. During the rebuild, our gardens were damaged so we have replaced all the gardens as well.  Overall the building and grounds are looking great.

Jane has been in the studio for about 6 weeks. She has found it very light, airy and welcoming and because of the repairs,  our work looks superb.

Funnily enough the most commented item about the studio is the floor, which is particle board with a 10 mm oak tongue and groove timber overlay.  It is quite an interesting floor as we used all locally grown okay, so there is a mixture of english, silky and pin oak to name a few.

JointWorks Wardrobe Installed

Wardrobe – Rimu Standalone

Over the last few months, I have not been writing much here, or seemingly doing much at all.  Actually life has been quite hectic, and out of the clouds of sawdust has emerged this wardrobe.  This was a commissioned piece by a very patient customer, who wanted to have something unique and interesting, which would be a family heirloom as well.  Hence the interesting design of the wardrobe.

Wardrobe Timber

The timber used in this piece has its own story.  The carcass of the wardrobe is made from customer supplied Rimu timber, that was recycled from a garage renovation.  The darker coloured timber is also Rimu, but this was milled from a log that had washed up against a road bridge, from Te Waikoropupū Springs . the darker look is caused by soaking in the river for a good many years.  The front tongue in groove was recovered from homes around Nelson.  The poplar back panels, were also off cuts from some ones home panelling.

The wardrobe doors have a curved centre mullion, which caused considerable headaches as I went to fit it.  On the outside of the carcass the integral legs, reflect the buttress of a tree with their gentle outward slope.  The curves are taken a little further with the top architrave having a subtle curve as well.  The observant amongst you will notice that the handle changed from the original small version to a far more organic one once installed.  This recycled handle was offered as a choice and chosen as it simply looked a better fit for the wardrobe.

Inside is the brass rail for the clothes hangers.  This is held up but holders in the shape of leaves.  These leaves are made of both dark and light rimu, and look superb against the brass rail.  The back of the wardrobe is panelled in poplar.  The white of the poplar will help make the inside of the wardrobe feel brighter and lighter.

The piece was delivered today, and had looks simply fantastic in place.  The customer was very happy as well, which is the ultimate goal.