With new maniototo yarn and the 48″ AVL loom all ready to go, it was a warp of firsts.  First time  using the new yarn, and the first warp on the moved and reconditioned AVL that belonged to Mum.  I decided that the first warp that would go on Mum’s loom was some knee rugs. Using Maniototo yarn which I had hand dyed and a weave structure of blanket tweel. Being the first warp on the loom a narrow short warp would have been sensible, but I couldn’t help myself – I wanted to do knee rugs so commonsense went out the window.

Luckily I didn’t have too many problems. I had to hunt round for the right reed which was 47 1/2 inches not 48in as I had planned for which meant a few extra threads hanging off the back! The next problem was the rod which had the start of the weaving on, caught on the underneath rollers under the shafts. But once I had stepped away from the loom to try and solve why it wasn’t working properly I noticed that the rod had caught and it was easily fixed with no damage done to the weaving. When the warp was off the loom Tony attached two wooden rails across the rollers to prevent this happening again.

The plan was to do a sample but was happy with how it was weaving so just carried on. This meant that I had enough warp on to do two knee rugs and one children’s blanket.

I had miscalculated the amount of yarn that I needed to dye. Thankfully I had plenty to wind the warp. I then dyed some more blue for the weft – I thought this colour would be easier to match. It did turn out a lighter shade which I think adds to the overall look of the blanket.

With the hand dyed yarn there is a very slight (sometimes not so slight) colour variation and I think it adds character to the weaving.

The Maniototo yarn wove and dyed well. The loom after a few initial hiccups also went very well. Overall I am happy with the outcome.